History of the Organ
The introduction of a pipe organ into Auchtermucty Parish Church was first mooted in 1911, however it was not until 1913 that it was installed.
The specifications for the organ were drawn up Mr J B Lawson of Ardossan, and Mr McGregor Chalmers, architect, designed the fumed oak case. Ingram & Company of Edinburgh was given the contract to build the organ for the sum of £440.
Of this the congregation raised some three-quarters with the balance being met by a grant from Dr Carnegie of Skibo.
Originally the organ blower was powered using hydraulic power. Pipes were laid from the west gate of the church up the footpath to carry the water needed to drive a small engine. The Town Council gave permission for the Church to draw the necessary water for £1 a year. They reserved the right, however, to cut off the supply in times of dry weather when domestic supply was short. On these occasions someone had to act as organ blower.
By 1920, after having had the water supply cut off on several occasions, it was decided to investigate an alternative source of power for the organ. An oil-fired engine and a dynamo to generate electricity was suggested. In 1922 the pipes for the organ leaked badly. It was found that the pipes themselves were in reasonable condition but the water pressure was insufficient to drive the motor.
A multi-stage rotary blower coupled to a Rushton-Hornsby petrol/paraffin engine was finally installed in a small building at the side of the church in 1923. The old water powered motor was traded-in to Ingrams.
Nowadays the organ blower is driven by mains electricity.
- Times of Worship
- How to join the Church
- Malawi Partnership
- The Youth Program
- How to find us