The history of the Parish Church in Auchtermuchty is a long and varied one.
Auchtermuchty Church was first consecrated on 31 March 1245. There is mention of it in the Pontifical of Bishop de Barnham of St Andrews which is held in the Louvre in Paris.
In 1350, Duncan, the last MacDuff and Earl of Fife, gifted it to the Abbey of Lindores, out of gratitude for his escape at the battle of Durham and from subsequent captivity.
At the Reformation the parish was placed under the charge of Alexander Fairny, reader, who held that office from 1567 to 1574. The first Protestant minister, one Henry Leitch, was installed in the parish in 1592.
The present church was built "finely situated on a rising in the town" in 1780.
It is assumed but not proven that it stands on the site of the earlier building. In 1838 it was extended by adding the north aisle, thus increasing its capacity from 500 to 900 people. Extensive alterations and improvements were carried out to the church, including the installation of the pipe organ and the passion flower and grape vine stained glass windows, the latter being gifted by the Women's Guild.
The Church, however, is not just the buildings. More important by far are the people - the members of the congregation who come together to worship, to learn from each other, to share in fellowship with one another, and to continue Christ's work in the local community and beyond.
- Times of Worship
- How to join the Church
- Malawi Partnership
- The Youth Program
- How to find us