Historical Houses of Great Britain

Tudor – 1485 – 1603

tudor house

The Tudor house was defined by its Tudor arch and oriel windows. The Tudor period was the first period to move away from the medieval style houses and was more like a timber framed country house. Today Tudor houses are all listed building and highly sought after due to there location and the amount of space and history involved. Tudor houses are an expensive housing option so be prepared for the financial layout and upkeep costs. If that doesn’t put you off then buying a Tudor house could be a great investment and opportunity to keep English heritage alive.

Elizabethan – 1550 -1625

elizabethan house

Elizabethan houses can be recognised by their large vertical timber frames that are often supported by diagonal beams. The Elizabethan style houses were similar to medieval style houses. These houses were built sturdy to last through the age. The houses were built by the middle class are are today listed building.

Jacobean – 1603 – 1625

Jacobean house

The Jacobean style gets its name from King James 1 of England who reigned at the time. The Jacobean style in England follows the Elizabethan style and is the second phase of Renaissance architecture. May Jacobean houses were very large both inside and out with large rooms for family living.  Common features included columns and pilasters, arches and archades. These features were to create a sense of grandeur. There are many Jacobean style houses on the market today if your lucky enough to be able to afford one.

Stuart – 1603 – 1714

stuart house

One of the most common period property types for country houses. This period house boasted elegant exteriors with sash windows, high ceiling and spacious rooms. The outside was commonly bare brick and flat fronted.

English Baroque – 1702 – 1714

During this period houses were decorated with arches, columns and sculptures and took many features and characteristics from the continent. The interiors were very exuberant with artwork and ornaments in all rooms main rooms

Palladian – 1715 -1770

palladian house

The Palladian era started in 1715 and these types of houses are characterised by symmetry and classic forms, more plain than other eras however on the inside houses were lavish and often had elaborate decorations

Georgian – 1714 – 1837

georgian house

The Georgian house was styled with rigid symmetry, the most common Georgian house was built with brick with window decorative headers and hip roofs. The Georgian house period started and got its name due to the 4 successive kings being named George.

Regency – 1811 – 1820

regency house

The Regency housing style was common among the upper and middle classes from 1811 to 1820 the houses were typically built in brick and then covered in painted plaster. The plaster was carefully moulded to produce elegant decorative touches to give the exterior of the house more elegance.

Victorian – 1837 – 1910

victorian house

Very common even today especially in London. A Victorian house in general refers to any house build during the reign of Queen Victoria. The main features of a Victoria house are roofs made of slate with sash windows and patters in the brick work that are made using different colour bricks. Stained Glass windows and doors were also a common feature as were bay windows

Edwardian – 1901 -1910

edwardian house

Edwardian architecture got its name during the reign of King Edward from 1901 – 1910. These types of houses were generally built in a straight line with red brick. Edwardian houses typically had wooden frame porches and wide hallways. The rooms inside were wider and brighter moving away from the older style houses that were more gothic. Parquet wood floors and simple internal decoration was common also.


The People of Church

The Kirk Session

The Kirk Session is made up of men and women who have been ordained as elders. The Session, comprising about 30 people in our case, are charged with the overall care of the congregation’s life and witness and in particular with the routine contact with the homes and families of the parish. The Session Clerk is the Secretary of the Session and the head of its administration and affairs.

The Congregational Board

The Congregational Board consists of elected members of the congregation together with the elders of the Kirk Session. It meets about six times a year, plus its committee work, in doing the overall ‘housekeeping’ of the congregation – property maintenance, hall usage, and all the financial arrangements of our income and expenditure. Through its clerk, ie secretary, it reports to the Annual Business Meeting of the congregation.

The Board’s work is divided into three main groups:


Responsible for Christian giving, budgeting, fund-raising and all congregational expenses.
Treasurer – Brian Slattery.


Responsible for maintenance of all church property.


Responsible for assigning all church accommodation.
To enquire about booking any of the facilities, contact the Clerk.

The Church Hall

Auchtermuchty Church Hall is located on Croft just past the Church building.

Between 2007 and 2008, the building was treated to a much needed upgrade and now boasts a superb hall and enviable kitchen facilities. There is also a smaller room which can be booked for meetings.

The Church Hall is a very well used facility with many local organisations meeting there. It can be booked for children’s parties, coffee mornings, fund-raising events etc. To enquire about hiring the venue for an event or to make a regular booking.

Auchtermuchty Church has a Faith Partnership with Namadze in Malawi and this picture was taken at an evening of fellowship held in the hall during an exchange visit. Rev John Mlera tries to play the bagpipes!

Where is the Church?

The parish of Auchtermuchty and Dunshalt is in North East Fife, Scotland. We are about 25 miles north of Edinburgh and 18 miles west of St Andrews.

The Church is in the centre of Auchtermuchty, on the high ground between the High Street and Burnside. All Public Worship Services are held in this building. Car Parking is available in the surrounding streets or in the Square.

The Church Hall is located in the Croft just past the Church.

Joining the Church

Someone who is considering becoming a full member of the Church – for the first time and as a responsible adult – is invited to share in a period of preparation, then, on consent of the Kirk Session, is allowed to proceed to the making of the promises of belief and loyalty in a Service of Admission of new members.

In our parish our Service of Admission would usually be in early January or June. For a period of five weeks or so prior to these respective Services, there is held a series of Conversations, usually on Sunday evenings.

These are very relaxed, informal but adult, purposeful evenings when the issues of what is really means to be a Christian are chatted over and looked at by the group. (Coffee included.) They are conducted by the Minister and have the reputation for being as happy and enjoyable as they are helpful in assisting people of all sorts and all ages become clear in their own minds what they believe or don’t believe.

The Conversations are what they say they are – conversations not classes! One series usually begins towards the end of November each year and the other towards the end of April.

If anyone is a member of the Church of Scotland, their name is ‘kept’ on the Roll of Members in some particular congregation.

If you move to another area then you should write to the Session Clerk (or Minister if necessary) of your ‘old’ church and ask for your Certificate of Membership – usually referred to as “Church Lines” – to be sent to your new address.

You should then hand in -the certificate (a small bit of paper) to the Minister or Elder of the ‘new’ church, or at the door when leaving a Sunday Service.

This ‘hand-over’ is quite important. Until your name is recorded in the new congregation’s Roll it is difficult for the ‘new’ church to bring you ‘into the system’ of having an elder or receiving the Church Newsletter, etc.

It is of course very helpful if you happen to move within Auchtermuchty/ Dunshalt to drop a note to the Session Clerk informing him of your new address.